Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Med Room Relief

Well tonight I got told I am the new med room relief person. Ehh...grr...this was my first thought. When working the med room we have 2 main med passes, one at 3:30-4:30 and the bigger one from 6:45 to 9:00pm. Our goal is to always be done passing the meds by 4:30 and 9:00 and ultimately the 11:15pm time to clock out. Of course life doesn't go our way. Life would be just grand if all we had to do was pass psych and HIV meds. But nooo....we also have to sign out every single psych med, issue regular meds, identify single pills found in inmates cells, manage the narcotics and syringes, etc...The biggest challenge is keeping track of all of the narcs, syringe and every pill you give to an inmate has to be documented not only on the MAR's but also on the sign out sheets. It can be very stressful and time consuming. And during the 2 med passes the inmates are of course standing in line rushing you to hurry up so they can go back to their football game or recreation.

Before I left in May I was late leaving work at like 12:30-1am in the morning just because it is so much for a new job. I literally had anxiety the few rare times I was assigned this position. Now I leave and go back and as to date I have been in the med room 4 times and have surpassed the main med room nurse by being done between 9-10pm at night with everything. This is a major accomplish at my job. When I was told that because of how good I do in there that I am now the med room relief nurse when our main med room nurse has a day off, I am just like "umm wow". If you told me this 3 weeks ago I would have laughed in your face and walked away. Now I can say I have every field, from segregation, to infirmary, to charge, to float, and now the med room down. It's for sure a personal accomplishment.

No comments: