Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Psalm 100

Today I was talking to Baf about Thanksgiving, and found myself pondering the reasons behind this holiday Americans (and Canadians!) celebrate annually. Sure there were Indians and Pilgrims and now it's centered around turkeys and pies...but really why? And not soo much "why", but more "what" am I thankful for?

Steve and I were invited to 2 different friends houses for dinner. I declined both. I feel bad about having someone postpone their dinner with their families because of my work schedule. I also feel bad that our first holiday as a married couple I will be at the popo while my hubby will be at home sleeping in. Oh the joy of working in the health care field... I want to be able to be the wife that cooks this elaborate meal that my husband drools over just the aroma in the air. I want our first holiday together, to be in our own home, even if it is a later dinner and not the traditional Macy Day Parade, dinner and football games. So that's what we are going to do. It may not be elaborate, but at least there will be a turkey, stuffing, noddles, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, sweet tea and pumpkin dessert. We are going to have a small dinner, just the two of us, where we can reflect all that we are thankful for.

All month people on facebook has been posting daily status on what they are thankful for. It's been intriguing reading some of them. It got me thinking what I am thankful for. The top few things are: a God who loved me enough to give up His Son just to have a relationship with me; a husband who loves me unconditionally and makes me strive to be a better person; a job that I enjoy with a steady paycheck to pay the bills; a loveable almost 4 year old St Bernard puppy that gives me much joy and companionship; a warm house
that provides a roof over my head that I am able to call home; family that supports me and friends who make my day brighter.

Psalm 100
Shout joyfully to the LORD, all the earth.
Serve the LORD with gladness;
Come before Him with joyful singing.
Know that the LORD Himself is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving
And His courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him, bless His name.
For the LORD is good;
His lovingkindness is everlasting
And His faithfulness to all generations.

No comments: