Friday, April 22, 2011

Stress Test

This morning I had to go get the physical portion of the pre-employment process completed. This is the last step before they offer me employment. I already had 2 interviews, background check, fingerprinting, tour and polygraph test. I have never had a job that has this complicated of a hiring process. I know police officers, fireman, military officials have this kind of a hiring process, but come on I am just a nurse!

So I know I have a shy bladder when it comes to peeing in a cup, so I drank 60 ounces of water within an hour period to guarantee there is urine in me. A couple years a go at the prison I had to do a random drug test and it took me 2 hours and 55 minutes before I produced enough urine (thanks for them not telling me ahead of time that, and I peed like 10 minutes before they notified me of needing to do it). So I went into the occupational health building and was able to pee within a few seconds. I also had blood work drawn (yay on the first stick!), vitals taken, spirometry test, hearing test, visual test, body fat percentage test (hello I know I am fat already!), chest xray, TB test, EKG, and a stress test...

The stress test I had to get hooked up to an EKG in my PT clothes and on a treadmill. I started out walking and he increased it to running a 4.5 speed on a HUGE incline. I was only able to go 5 minutes and 38 seconds. I was suppose to run for 6 minutes. Now let me remind you that this test is given to military officials, fireman and police officers...I am a nurse. A year ago I weighed 50 lbs heavier and barely able to run for 15 to 30 seconds on a flat treadmill. Today I ran 5 minutes and 38 seconds. But still that wasn't good enough. I felt like I failed myself. The technician giving me the stress test said my BP, HR and EKG looked really good during the stress test. I am hoping that they can get a good enough reading and realize that I am going to be working a noncivillian job...

I have to go back on Monday for my follow up with the medical director to get the results of all these test and see if I pass these test and get her approval of me employment. Her approval is the only think standing between me and the job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with getting the job! I know you will get it but good luck!!:D