Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Story of My Engagement


So you know life is a little busy right now, with finishing work, packing and preparing to move across country (3 days to go!). I have been mentioning to Steve that I really want to go to the beach one more time, and it just seemed like it wasn't going to work out since Brandy and Alex came to town, and umm the procrastination with my packing. Friday night before Alex and Brandy arrived, Steve went and asked my father's blessing for my hand in marriage. They had over an hour long conversation, and my stomach was in knots the entire time. Because the convo took so long, we didn't have time to discuss their convo before heading to dinner with Brandy and Alex. Let's just say as Steve is getting to know them over dinner, I am sitting there a complete mess just convincing myself that the convo went bad.


Anyways Saturday morning rolls around, and we ended up making this big family brunch, which caused our departure for the beach to be late. A normal 3 hour drive took 5 hours due to traffic. We finally got there around dinner time, had dinner at Grotto's Pizza. During dinner I notice that Steve is acting quieter then normal. I had been telling Steve all week that I wish he would propose before we moved back to Moberly, but I finally convinced myself that he wasn't going to do it. So anyways after dinner, we head to the beach. I just love the feeling of water rushing over my feet from the waves. We stood there forever, talking and hugging. I thought that everything was perfect in the world. Peaceful. The tide kept getting bigger and bigger, causing us to get wetter and wetter, to the point that Steve was like "let's move back some" and I am just like "but I like the warm water"... It was getting dark outside, and Steve suddenly turned to me and said "I made you a present", I was quite confused, but hey I will take a present!


He pulled out a slightly damp book that he had made for me titled "Do you remember?". It was a book about took us down memory lane of our almost 6 year friendship and then dating relationship. Half the memories I had forgotten, but it was so sweet to be reminded of it and going down memory lane. As I am reading the book, Steve is having to use his phone as a light so that I can actually read it. At the end of the book the words read if I would marry him. When I got to this point in the book, he started to pull a ring out of is pocket. Instead of crying or saying yes like a normal person, all I said repeatedly "you want to marry me? wow I can't believe you want to marry me? wow I can't believe you bought me a ring". Literally I was speechless, stunned and repeatedly repeated things that I am sure was giving a mixed meaning to Steve. Finally I remembered to say yes, he placed the very delicate ring on my finger (yes it fits, and yes I ABSOLUTELY love it). After some hugging I immediately said "wait wait wait you can't propose to me and not kiss me!" If anyone knows our history, you will know that he hasn't kissed me yet, respecting me and waiting for that first kiss to be absolutely special. So anyways he asked me permission to kiss me, and then of course he did it.


We stood there forever under the moonlight on the beach just being completely in love and in awe that my best friend had bought me a ring, and wanted to marry me. I am absolutely tickled pink and can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him. At this point we are thinking of a Spring wedding, so that we can move, get settled into our lives in Moberly (no we will not live together incase you were thinking), plan a wedding and most importantly get some premarital counseling and grow together spiritually as we prepare our relationship for a lifetime of commitment between God and us.


Eek I can't believe I am engaged. I was caught off guard at church today by the sparkle of my ring and found myself thanking God for the many blessings He has given me. He has blessed me with a man of God searching for God's Will in our life and I am more then honored to become his wife and stand by his side the rest of my life.

3 comments:

ashley said...

You have such a sweet engagement story :) I'm happy for you!!! I had a hard time accepting I was engaged at the time too. It takes me back and reminds me once again :) to not take Joseph for granted. Thank you for that

The Echols said...

Such a beautiful story! Congrats again!

JazzBerryJam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.