Sunday, March 13, 2011

Abortion?!?

Yesterday I agreed to work a shift for the staffing agency at a woman's clinic. All I knew was that it was a woman's clinic and I was going to run the recovery room for outpatient procedures. So the day is going along great, nice and slow only 3 patients, in which I never saw but just had to do the paperwork...then bam my actual physical patient came out of surgery...I was reading her chart and she had...an abortion. 8 1/2 weeks along. I saw the sonogram and everything. I so didn't know that this clinic performed abortions, but let me tell you it was an eye opening experience, especially when I was leaving and there was an anti-abortion protest occurring on the property lawn. Yes I agree that a woman has the choice, but I also personally believe in abortion being wrong. That is where the line of professionalism is drawn in the nursing world. I have my beliefs, you have yours, and I am here to offer care for your health needs. I can't judge you, but I can guarantee I wont be working there again!

2 comments:

The Echols said...

Sorry Ash! That's rough. At least you were there to help her recover after going through something that awful.

Amy Lynn said...

Wow Ashley. I definitely agree that it would have been an eye opening experience. But like Sandy said, it was good that you were there to help her recover. :(