Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent

I have never given up anything for lent, mainly because I am not Catholic, well that's always been my excuse at least. Sure I have fasted and given up things to focus more on my relationship with Christ; but never have I done this during lent. I find it intriguing that an entire group of people agree to give something up for 40 days in preparation of remembering the last week of Christ's life on earth, his gruesome death and glorious resurrection. According to Wikipedia it is "a time of sacrifice for Jesus".

With that being said, I have had 2 friend's challenge me tonight during this lent season. One of my oldest and dearest friends, Shelby, challenged me to give up something. After much thinking I decided to give up bread and cheese. Sure I can eat cardboard fat free cheese and sandwich thins, but I need to give these up. I don't need them to make my food "taste" good. These are the two things that though I have altered to being healthier, I have never completely given up. I was debating which one to give up when it doned on me, "why not both, why choose?". My friend, Kayla, on MFP has challenged me to read through the New Testament with her during lent. 40 days to read Matthew to Revelation.

So now I ask you, what are you sacrificing as you prepare to remember the last week of Christ's life on earth, his gruesome death and glorious resurrection?

No comments: